Thursday, October 2, 2014

The "Shell'd" Gown: At Last!

They're not the best pictures, but they are pictures!

This print is so awesome for mimicking 18th c "shell'd" prints. Although it looks surprisingly modern, check out these originals:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/75153887506338817/

https://www.facebook.com/foundlingtokens/photos/pb.142916505743501.-2207520000.1412136854./157379224297229/?type=3&theater

This type of one color, simple print would have been a nice, cheap fabric for a gown. Nothing fancy here!

Hillary Rizen has been doing some awesome research on 18th century prints. Wm. Booth, Draper is even carrying some of the prints she designed. Burnley and Trowbridge have also been researching and making custom prints heavily inspired from original prints. They are currently out of stock but are expecting more, new prints soon! Stay tuned!

I hope I get another chance to wear this dress and take good, proper pictures of it...

It's lined partly in white linen and partly in checked linen, for added anti-fancy-ness! :)



IMG_1300
IMG_1301

5 comments:

Rowenna said...

Lovely! I don't know if you've seen the child's dress Hilary made for her little, but it's of one of her shell prints and is just awesome! I've got my eye on one for a project soon :)

Kitty Kanzashi said...

Love the print! Where can I get some of this fabric?

Kleidung um 1800 said...

It's very lovely. I especially like the hidden plaid lining :)

Sabine

Heather said...

THis dress is AMAZING. I love the shell'd pattern of the fabric. Reminds me of Tasha Tudor!

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!