Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Eighteenth Century Essentials

Can you believe I haven't had a proper pocket all this time? I mean, I had a pocket, but it was machine sewn out of pink linen... Not worthy to see the light of day at any event! I do want to make an embroidered pocket some day, but not until the embroidered gown is done (which yes, I am still working on!). So I set about finding a period pocket that would be both accurate and simple.

In my search, I kept coming across linen dimity pockets, and I knew that was my answer. Colonial Williamsburg has one, the MFA has one, and apparently even Abigail Adams had one. Burnley and Trowbridge happens to be selling the perfect off white linen dimity that was a really close match to the dimities used in these original pockets. Perfect! 

It's entirely hand sewn, lined with plain white linen, and bound with linen tape. I still have enough fabric left over to make at least 2 more pockets, and I only bought a half yard of each fabric!




I also made a new cap, which I desperately needed since I only have my silk gauze one. The linen one I made last year is no longer an accurate representation of my skills, so I'd rather not wear it...



Inside of the cap:

Photo on 2013-05-22 at 13.23 #3

Photo on 2013-05-22 at 13.23 #4

Photo on 2013-05-22 at 13.24 #3

Photo on 2013-05-22 at 13.24

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Regency Pelisse

I had all but given up on ever actually making this garment, since so many other things had gotten in the way. But then I was unexpectedly able to go to the 200th anniversary of the siege of Ft. Meigs, and the cold, wet spring we had been having prompted me to make something warm for the weekend.

  • green wool "kersey" from Burnley and Trowbridge
  • black mohair braid from Needle and Thread
  • real black lamb fur (aka astrakhan, or "dead fetal lamb") from a vintage cape I got for $24 (it was falling apart and completely unwearable--but perfect for my purposes!)
  • so many buttons...
  • black cotton velveteen for the hat
  • vintage plume
  • All those original lovely original "hussar" style redingotes/pelisses out there (like the red KCI one)
  • the 95th Rifles
The braid was the most time-consuming part, and I did the right side at least 5 times until it looked as good as the left side! I think the hat is my favorite part. It is a Polish military style, which I heard called a "tchapka" by many of my male-soldiery friends.

The entire garment was pretty much made in a week. I did scale up the bodice from Janet Arnold the week before, but that was about it... I was able to scale it up exactly and then actually had to take it in.

It was a complete blast to wear this garment. I felt really elegant and regal. Underneath is my lace insertion gown and chemisette, and I completed the look with gloves and a dainty lady's walking/riding stick.

"For the blog" documentary pics:

Fun! pics: