Sunday, February 9, 2014

Felicity Christmas Gown Progress

Things are going well, if slowly, with the Felicity Christmas gown. I just can't stay focused... Plus I started a new job (there might be a post about that soon...), so I'm adjusting to working again after a month off. I also need to finish up my presentation for the millinery conference. Eep!

Here's the petticoat all done. I added a ruffle because it seemed weird without one. I'm already taking the license to make this a sack back, so why not? I'm also adding ("fly") fringe to the edges of the trim as well. That way I don't have to pink them or hem them. Just turn back the raw edge once and stitch the fringe on with just enough stitches to hold it on. 


And here's construction pictures of the back. I've since draped the front bodice lining and am fiddling with it a bit before I cut out the silk pieces. I think the part I'm most nervous about is the skirts, and making them drape nicely over the hoops...


A lot of unseen stitching goes into the back to keep the pleats all neat and tidy. I used spaced backstitches to stitch down the top 4" of the pleats, then a double herringbone stitch horizontally across the pleats at the bottom before the "release". Spaced back stitches on either side of the center back opening keep the silk snug on the lining when the lacing is pulled in to bring the gown closer to the figure.

You can barely see the spaced back stitches on the outside, but they're there doing their job!

And a nice, tidy eyelet.


Gina said...

Ooh ooh ooh!!! This is going to be fabulous! I love the color and the construction so far is most inspirational!!! Can't wait to see more!!!


An Historical Lady said...

Hubby and I love the Felicity Williamsburg/Christmas film and have the dvd and watch it every year. Love the gown too, and you'll look magnificent in it.

Kura Carpenter said...

Petticoats need ruffles, so true :p

friv 2 said...

I love your blog! I plan on buying a camera. What equipment do you use? Your photos are wonderful! Z6

Anonymous said...

Few weeks ago my girlfriend told me that she was fed up, so she packed her stuff and left me while I was taking a walk to cool off. When I got back, I was so messed up because I didn't even know what to do, it was like my whole life was coming to an end. That night I drove to a friend’s house and he was nice enough to give me a description of a man who did spells that could bring her back for me. He said this man brought her fiancĂ©e back to him after 2days. The man's email is, it was this man that then did a spell and brought Claire back to my life. She was now so humble and calm, she was respectful and lovely even more than i can imagine. This man is really strong and accountable. I never regret anything through him. meet him if you need help in your love life. visit his website you may find your solution there