Can you believe I haven't had a proper pocket all this time? I mean, I had a pocket, but it was machine sewn out of pink linen... Not worthy to see the light of day at any event! I do want to make an embroidered pocket some day, but not until the embroidered gown is done (which yes, I am still working on!). So I set about finding a period pocket that would be both accurate and simple.
In my search, I kept coming across linen dimity pockets, and I knew that was my answer. Colonial Williamsburg has one, the MFA has one, and apparently even Abigail Adams had one. Burnley and Trowbridge happens to be selling the perfect off white linen dimity that was a really close match to the dimities used in these original pockets. Perfect!
It's entirely hand sewn, lined with plain white linen, and bound with linen tape. I still have enough fabric left over to make at least 2 more pockets, and I only bought a half yard of each fabric!
I also made a new cap, which I desperately needed since I only have my silk gauze one. The linen one I made last year is no longer an accurate representation of my skills, so I'd rather not wear it...
Inside of the cap: