Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Saying Goodbye...

Fives weeks at home really flew by. I had a great time with friends and family, but tomorrow morning (at 6:30!) I set off for a once in a lifetime adventure in Williamsburg. I feel so blessed for this opportunity, and the fact that I get to be there with my fiance while he is working in the Costume Design Center for the summer. There are so many new friends to meet, and so many new things to learn!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mea Culpa Maxima!!!

As you can tell, I haven't had any time to take pictures of the second 18th c gown... I put it on and found a couple things I'm not happy with, and which I'd like to fix before I show y'all...

So in the meantime, here's a couple images of the silk organza ruff I made for visiting this year's faire. It is made in the "proper" way. That is, stroke gathered to a band and then starched and curled into shape. A lot of work, but totally worth it!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hand Sewn 18th c Gown #1

This is one of two gowns I finished recently. It is entirely hand sewn, of cream wool with fine white stripes. Lined in linen, and shown with fine linen neck and sleeve ruffles. Also shown is my new black silk bonnet and red checked linen apron.  I wore this outfit to do a school show with my Revolutionary War unit, the 33rd Regiment of Foot. I had an absolute blast with the kids, and it was good to warm up my interpreting skills for the summer!

I can't wait to get better pictures of this in Williamsburg... :)

Stay tuned for gown #2 coming tomorrow!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wedding Gown Reveal!

My fiancé has promised not to look at my Blogger, and he has been blocked from viewing any wedding posts on Facebook and Livejournal. So here's my wedding gown design!

The over dress is silk gauze, embroidered by hand in real silver metal thread and spangles, and white silk floss (which can be seen here). The under dress is silk charmeuse, and is removable, allowing for a shorter dress for the reception (since both receptions--one in CA and one in MI--are outside).

I finally found a scroll frame large enough to accommodate the skirt panels, so I can start on the embroidery!

Based on these two gowns: