Sunday, August 14, 2011

Just a Tease... 1812 Riding Habit

I want to save the real pictures for the event in three weeks, but here's a taste of what I've been working on lately.

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Brave Vivandiere

For my last West Coast event, I went out as a vivandiere again. It really is an awesomely fun impression and I'm going to miss it! But I'll definitely pick up my keg again when I come back for visits. :)

Here are some pictures from the event. I decided to wear my hair up this time, and I like the look much better than wearing my hair down (not to mention it was MUCH more comfortable!).

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Still Alive!!

Believe it or not, I am still here and still sewing! This summer has just been so busy, between working (full time, now!), spending time with family and friends, and packing up my entire wardrobe (modern and period) for the move to Michigan.

Amidst all that, I am working on building up my War of 1812 wardrobe. The first dress, the purple border print, you have already seen. I have fabric cut out for matching undersleeves, but Fair at New Boston may prove too warm to necessitate them (says the girl who plans on wearing a velvet riding habit that weekend...!). I also am finishing up my green velvet riding habit, made from the leftover yardage of my 2010 court gown. Yesterday I got some really exquisite gold lace to trim it with, and it's coming along nicely. Other than finishing the trim, everything in regards to the actual habit is finished (including closures! It's a miracle!). Then I move on to the habit shirt and cravat, which I'm not looking forward to... Oh yes, and the hat! Then I have pale blue cotton voile that will also eventually become a dress, although probably not in time for New Boston. Unless I can make it in the week before the event, but that's also my first week of school, which might not be a great idea!
During my Hawaii vacation, I started working on my red wool caped pelisse. The bodice is pretty much done, although when I got home and put it on my dress form, I noticed that the back of the cape had not been cut evenly... *sigh* So that needs to be fixed, which means removing the trim I already put on it. D'oh! I remembered the other day that I have two yards of yellow wool left over from an 18th c gown which will do nicely for a spencer and coordinates with an old white, grey, and yellow striped linen dress I made a couple years ago (which could stand to have some repairs done to it, and perhaps a bit of a redesign). And finally, I have fabric for a ball gown. Not sure when I'll get to it, but soon I hope!

Last year at Costume College, I purchased a lovely stovepipe bonnet from blue blocked straw. The trim, however, was definitely more theatrical than historical, so I have stripped it down to just the bonnet. I've purchasd some fine French ribbon to retrim it after a fashion plate. Just need to get some pretty white ostrich plumes to finish it off. At GFV this year, I got white hemp plait and vintage green silk ribbon for yet another bonnet or hat. I haven't settled on a design, but I have two in mind at the moment... Either a more top-hat like hat (first two images) or a poke bonnet (last three images).

Eventually I would like an iconic white Regency dress, as well as more spencers and cute little capes to accessorize it. I also have plans to make a gigantic fur muff, since we have events in November and January which are going to be chilly!

Finally, I am in the midst of new, completely handsewn, long stays. My short stays were cute, but they weren't giving me the shape i wanted. Hopefully the long stays will!