This is SUCH an improvement over my first black silk bonnet that I made about 2 years ago. I've learned so much since then!
I made up the pattern myself, which really just involved playing around with paper grocery bags until i had something I liked.
The brim is stiffened with artist's chip board to simulate pasteboard, which I personally like better than buckram for this kind of hat. The "Instructions for Cutting Out Apparel for the Poor" of 1789 recommends pasteboard for bonnet brims, as does the Kannik's Korner pattern (Kathleen wrote about pasteboard and bonnets here and here.) It is covered with black silk taffeta, trimmed with the same, and drawn up in the back with black silk ribbon. After careful consideration, I decided to construct my bonnet using the same method described by Rebecca. It made the most sense to me, and to Michael. I'd love to look at CW's original bonnet (currently the only known extant bonnet form the 18th century) to see how it was constructed, but the brim is stiffened with stripes of baleen, so that changes things a bit.
So here it is. Also pictured is the new spot'd kerchief I made. Yay for accessories!