Monday, September 3, 2012

1790s Redingote

I've been planning this outfit since April when I visited with my dear Miss Waterman (who incidentally got engaged yesterday at the event!) in Tennessee. I thought it would be fun to do something 1790s at the Fair at New Boston, since the time frame for the event is 1790-1810. This is definitely on the early end of the 1790s! I felt really elegant in the outfit, even though the humidity and rain did a number on my hair... It was still tons of fun to wear, and the entire event was awesome as well! I got another chance to use my bow during a ladies archery practice on both days. I also picked up four period arrows to go with it! 

To make the actual redingote, I modified my basic 1770s bodice pattern, adding the lapels and giving it a straight waistline. I then had to draft the capes. Luckily I could use the two piece sleeves from the Mill Farm riding habit pattern. After much staring at the KCI 1790s striped jacket, I finally figured out the funky cuff on that too. The whole thing was assembled using 18th century techniques, in particular the "weird running whip stitch thingy" that Abby describes here: http://stay-ingalive.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-do-weird-running-whip-stitch.html. I LOVE this stitch! It is very fast and easy and gives a very neat look to the seams. I also referenced her tutorial for my hair, but again, the humidity and rain really made all the hard work almost for naught...











10 comments:

Sandrine said...

OMG!! So beautiful, I am utterly jealous of your skills!

Jen Thompson said...

WOW! Stripedy redingote FTW!!!

Anonymous said...

Really lovely! You look the part with all of your accessories as well, and your waist looks so small! It fits like a glove.

Best, Quinn

vintagevisions27 said...

Fantastic job!
-Emily

Anonymous said...

So fabulous! The hat, the hair, the redingote, you look like you walked out of the 18th century. Seriously, is there a historic era that you don't costume well!? ;-)))))

Cassidy said...

Wow, it's amazing!

Rebecca said...

So very lovely. The stripes make it even more striking. And that hat...looooving that hat...:-)

Kleidung um 1800 said...

What a beautiful redingote!!! Perfectly done and it suits you very well! Bravo!

Sabine

Signora. said...

Bella! Mi piace!!!

Unknown said...

Any chance you could share your pattern? I cant do drafting but love this style!